Building Permits

Fruit Heights Design Criterions: 

2018 International Building Code, 2018 Mechanical, Plumbing, and Energy Codes and 2017 Electrical Code and the 2015 International Residential Code. Seismic Zone D2, V-ult ASCE-7 exposure B for all of Fruit Heights (engineer shall evaluate), snow load 40 lb. 

Wind speed is as follows:

Risk Category II: 140 MPH (Residential)
Risk Category III: 150 MPH (Based on 2018 IBC)
Risk Category IV: 160 MPH (Essential Buildings)

3-second gust


New SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING Construction application.

Download the New Single Family Dwelling Packet for new home construction. 

Anytime there is a disturbance of soil (SFD, POOL, LANDSCAPING), a Storm Water Construction Activity Permit (SWCAP) is required.

More information about Storm Water requirements. 

Basement Finish/Remodels           
Detached Garages/Accessory Buildings (over 200 sq. ft.)

Electrical or Gas Upgrade or Repair (generator install)

Mechanical (i.e. Furnace or Air Conditioners)


Transfer Switch 

Water Heater

Please submit plans to

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a building permit to finish my basement or add on a room?

Yes. It is required by both the City of Fruit Heights and the International Building Code, plus all homeowners insurance companies, that safety and construction inspections be conducted on all home improvements. The cost of this permit will depend on the square footage or type of improvement. The code specifically states: “Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure...shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.”

Do I need a permit to put a shed on my property?

Yes. To ensure that you meet the set-back and height requirements, you will need to obtain a permit from the Building Department for any sheds or accessory buildings over 200 sq. ft. (14X15) (12x17).

Do I need a permit to install Solar Panels?  

Yes.  The Fruit Heights City Building Department requires an Electrical Permit for the installation of Solar Panels.  Here is a checklist of requirements for Micro-Inverter PV Systems, and String Inverter PV Systems.

What is the cost of a building permit to build my house?

Building Permit Fee Schedule

Building permit costs are figured individually depending on the square footage of the home and the impact fees charged in the subdivision where you are building. Refer to the fee schedule for more information. Fees are subject to change.

What is required to pass a final inspection on new construction?

Download the Final Inspection Checklist (new construction).

What is required to pass a final inspection on a basement, addition, or remodel?

Download the Final Inspection Checklist (basement, addition, or remodel).

How long do I have to receive a refund of my construction bond?

Construction bonds will be refunded upon final completion and approval of the home.  Bonds are normally refunded 30 days after the certificate of occupancy has been approved.