Business Licensing

Business Licensing

Fruit Heights City welcomes and encourages businesses within its community. Much of our local business is made up of small, locally owned home occupation businesses. The city’s current business license ordinance indicates the requirements and any restrictions in operating a home occupation business, as well as other types of businesses.

  1. Hailee Ballingham

    Licensing Clerk

Prior to applying for a Fruit Heights City business license, an individual should contact the State of Utah to ensure that all state-mandated requirements have been met. Go to the State of Utah Website, where you will find all of the information that you need. You may also contact the State of Utah by phone at 1-801-530-6701.

Business license information is generally considered public record, except for private information such as birth dates or social security numbers.

Completed business license applications should be returned to the city office for processing. Depending on the type of business, an inspection by the city’s building official may be necessary. Home occupation business licenses are valid until the anniversary date, at which time a renewal application will be automatically mailed to the business owner.

Rental Property Business License Required
Effective July 14, 2015, a business license is required for all non-owner-occupied residential properties. This business license will require contact information for the owner and someone at the local level, and will provide for inspections to ensure rental properties comply with current city code. All rental property owners should have received a letter through the mail regarding this new ordinance. Any questions can be directed to the city offices at 801-546-0861.

Business Licensing Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I need a Fruit Heights City business license?
A: If your business lists your home in Fruit Heights as its physical location, you must obtain a Fruit Heights City business license. Even if business is not specifically conducted within the City, but your home address is used for registration with the State of Utah, you are required to have a municipal license.

Q: Why do I need a Business License?
A: The purpose of a Fruit Heights City business license is:
To regulate and license businesses within the corporate limits of the City.
To determine if businesses are operating within applicable laws and ordinances.
To maintain a safe environment for the general public through inspections.
To enforce zoning, building, and fire codes.
To maintain a list of currently licensed businesses for public access.
To provide revenues used for city services such as fire and police protection.
To ensure that the City of Fruit Heights collects its portion of sales tax revenues from the Utah State Tax Commission.

Q: When would I need a home business safety inspection?
A: If you have anyone from the public (i.e. students, clients, customers, employees) come to your home, you will need to have a safety inspection.

Q: When do I need to submit a background check?
A: If your business works primarily with children or the elderly, or if you are a solicitor, you will need to submit a background check from the Utah State Department of Safety. Their phone number is (801) 965-4445. For more information, you can also visit: Utah Department of Public Safety.

Glossary of Terms

Business Registration Number (aka Business Entity Number): By law, you are required to register your business name with the Department of Commerce. You must provide a copy of your business registration number when you return your business license application to our office. Please call (801) 530-6701 if you have any questions.

Sales Tax Number: Generally, only businesses involved with the sale of a tangible product must apply for a state sales tax number. For questions you may contact the Utah State Tax Commission at 1-800-662-4335. If you are required to have a Sales Tax Number, you must provide it when you return your business license application to our office.

Federal Employer Identification Number (aka Federal Tax I.D. Number, EIN or FEIN): Most businesses will need to obtain a federal employer identification number with the Internal Revenue Service if any of the following entities are being created with employees: corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or sole proprietor. Please call 1-800-829-4933 or go to the IRS website for additional information.

Employer Withholding Number: Employers can get a withholding tax account (license) by completing and submitting the form TC-69 Utah State Business and Tax Registration to the tax commission. There is no fee for a withholding tax account. However, if you have a history of filing or paying taxes late, you may have to post a surety bond.

State License: It is required of some occupations to have a special license issued by the state. Please go to Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing for more information. 

Federal License: You will only need a federal license or permit if your business is involved in activities that are supervised and regulated by a federal agency. The types of business activities licensed by the federal government can be found at Business USA.